Horticulturist, Wilson Botanical Garden
Las Cruces Biological Station
San Vito, Costa Rica
Wilson Botanical Garden seeks an experienced horticulturist to lead horticultural improvements throughout the Garden. Applicants should have knowledge of tropical plants, plant propagation, garden aesthetics and presentation, as well as garden maintenance for the purpose of improving the quality of gardens, plant collections, and public displays. The duties involve working successfully with four Costa Rican gardeners, the taxonomist, and other staff of the Las Cruces Biological Station. The horticulturist works to establish the Garden as the interface between the forest, the public, and the research supported by the Las Cruces Biological Station.
- develops and maintains plant collections, works hands-on in gardens with current crew
- leads horticultural projects and garden renovations in coordination with the station director and Las Cruces Advisory Committee
- selects plants for appropriate placement in Botanical Garden
- propagates plants for garden planting
- collecting and/or procuring appropriate seeds and cuttings for garden development
- guides volunteers, interns, and students in their pre-selected Garden projects
This position is for a 9-12 month period, with some possibility of renewal.
It is preferable for the applicant to speak Spanish and English.
Successful candidates will possess a minimum of three years of horticultural experience in a public garden or related field.
For more information about the Las Cruces Biological Station and Wilson Botanical Garden go to:
Qualified candidates should email a resume and cover letter to:
Dr. Rebecca Cole, Director
Las Cruces Biological Station & Wilson Botanical Garden email@example.com